3/4 teaspoon Yeast, active dry powdered
7/8 teaspoon Sugar, white, granulated
3/4 cup Water, warm
3/4 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup 100% Whole wheat flour
2/3 cup White, all-purpose flour, enriched
7/8 cup Butternut squash, mashed, frozen
1 cup Carrots, cooked, diced
1 1/2 tablespoons Onions, cooked, diced
7 tablespoons Chicken broth, low-sodium, canned
1/2 cup Spinach leaves, fresh trimmed
1/2 cup Smoked chicken sausage
2/3 cup Chicken breast, meat only, cooked, diced
11 tablespoons Mozzarella, low-sodium, shredded
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash hands and sanitize work counter.
2. Dissolve yeast, sugar and warm (100 degrees F) water in 1 gallon (1-quart for 6) bowl. Set aside until bubbly (5-10 minutes).
3. Stir in olive oil, salt and whole wheat flour and blend. Add white flour, 1/2 cup (1 tbsp for 6) at a time until dough begins to pull together. Divide dough into two batches (do not divide for 6) and knead each until elastic, approximately 8 minutes.
4. Spray 2, 3-quart bowls (1-quart bowl for 6) with pan spray, and add each half of the dough to the bowl. Cover bowls with a damp cloth or place in proofer cabinet and allow to rise for about one hour until approximately double in size.
5. After rising, punch dough down, knead lightly and portion dough into 50-2 oz (or 6-2 oz) balls. Place balls on 18 x 26 baking sheets (or 9x 12 pans for 6), cover lightly with clean towel and allow to rest. (Chill if longer than 20 minutes and filling is not ready). Prepare filling.
6. Defrost frozen butternut squash in steamer (microwave for 6). (Can be made from fresh squash: 7lbs fresh squash yields ~ 8 cups mashed).
7. Clean and dice fresh carrots and onion into small pieces (1/4″ cubes) using clean produce cutting board (or use frozen diced). Cook (steam or boil) until carrots are just tender.
8. Assemble cooked carrots and onions, combine with defrosted squash, and place in 4″ deep standard hotel pan (2-quart bowl for 6). Add low sodium chicken broth and blend, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until ready to assemble.
9. Wash fresh spinach leaves, pat dry and chop leaves finely (1/8″ pieces). Add to filling, blend, return to refrigerator.
10. Chop cooked, plain chicken breasts into 1/4″ cubes using clean meat cutting board. Cut chicken sausage into similar sized pieces. Add to filling, blend and return to refrigerator.
11. Open shredded low-sodium mozzarella (or shred block cheese using medium cut). Toss lightly in filling mixture. Prepare to assemble.
12. Roll out 2 oz. dough pieces into 5-6″ circles and place approximately 4.2 oz (~1/2 cup or loosely packed #8 disher) filling on each circle. Fold over and pinch edges to close. Cut 3, 1″ slits in each calzone to ventilate. Place 10 calzones on each 18 x 26 baking sheet (4 per 9X12 cookie sheet or baking pan).
13. Bake 350 degrees F for 15 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot and enjoy!