Instead of opening a jar of sauce, try this easy spaghetti with meat sauce on a weeknight. Serve with steamed broccoli, garlic bread, and roasted pears for dessert. The recipe makes enough for 8 servings. If you’re serving only four for dinner, cook 8 ounces of spaghetti and freeze the leftover sauce.
1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 pound lean ground beef (90% or leaner)
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to brown, 5-8 minutes.
4. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
5. Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3-5 minutes.
6. Increase heat to high. Stir in tomatoes and cook until thickened, 4-6 minutes.
7. Stir in parsley and salt. Serve the sauce over the pasta, sprinkled with cheese.