ORLANDO (UCFKnights.com) – At 4-0 on the season, the No. 12/13 UCF football team will conclude its homestand this weekend at Spectrum Stadium. The Knights will welcome SMU to Orlando Saturday for a 7 p.m. kickoff on ESPNU and FM 96.9/AM 740 The Game.
Date: Saturday, Oct. 6
Time: 7 p.m.
Radio: FM 96.9/AM 740 The Game
Live Stats: https://ucfknights.co/2DKFQaz
MEMPHIS GAME – TIME/TV UPDATE
It was announced on Monday that UCF’s previously scheduled game at Memphis on Oct. 13 will be played at 3:30 p.m. ET/2:30 p.m. CT and will air on either ABC, ESPN or ESPN2. That announcement will be made following this weekend’s games.
SMU GAME – NOTES TO KNOW
– The Knights are 4-0 and have won 17 straight games, which is the nation’s longest winning streak. Ohio State is second with 10 consecutive wins, while Alabama is third with seven straight victories.
– After leading the nation in scoring last season (48.2ppg), UCF is currently seventh in the nation in scoring offense (48.8ppg) and third in the nation in total offense (582.8ypg).
– The UCF defense has gotten it done through turnovers again in 2018. Last season, the Knights finished second in the nation with a +1.31 turnover margin and with 10 turnovers through four games this season, UCF currently ranks fourth in all of FBS with a margin of +1.75.
– The Black and Gold offense has been stellar on crucial third downs. UCF leads the entire nation in third down conversion percentage through four games, having connected on 31-of-50 (62.0 percent).
– There are only two teams that rank in the Top 15 in the nation for scoring offense and scoring defense. Those two teams are last season’s co-national champions, UCF and Alabama.
– The Knights moved up in both national polls again this week. Rising one spot, UCF now ranks 12th in the AP Top 25 Poll and 13th in the Amway Coaches Poll. It marks the highest that the program has ranked during the season outside of the historic 2017 campaign.
– With four straight wins to start the 2018 season, it marks just the second time in the program’s FBS history that UCF has begun a season 4-0. The other time was last year’s undefeated national championship campaign.
– UCF leads the all-time series against SMU, 7-1. The Knights hold a 4-0 advantage in games played in Orlando. Last season, UCF won 31-24 in Dallas.
CLICK HERE FOR FULL GAME NOTES – UCF VS SMU
CLIMBING IN THE POLLS
The Knights climbed to 12th in the nation in the AP Top 25 Poll this week and 13th in the Amway Coaches Poll. UCF is the highest ranked team in the state of Florida and the top team in the American Athletic Conference.
The American Athletic Conference named McKenzie Milton the league’s Offensive Player of the Week for the third time this season on Monday. Milton went 18-of-34 for 328 yards and four touchdowns, and ran for 51 yards and two more scores in the win over Pittsburgh. The junior was also named a Manning Award Star of the Week, Davey O’Brien Award Great Eight Performer and Walter Camp Award National Player of the Week.
Richie Grant was also named to the league’s Weekly Honor Roll on Monday. The sophomore recorded eight tackles and had his third interception of the young season against the Panthers.
FROM THE PRESSER
The Knights were rewarded for their performance on Saturday, and the offense has been as good as ever, but head coach Josh Heupel and the team still aren’t satisfied.
“There’s a lot left out there offensively,” he said. “We can be way more efficient, more effective, but that’s true in all three phases. We’re four games in to who and what we’re going to be. We have a lot of room for growth and development. Good teams do that throughout the year. Teams that go win championships get better every single week.”
When asked about this weekend’s opponent, Heupel had a number of good things to say about the Mustangs and the talent they have.
“(They have an) athletic quarterback, dynamic playmakers on the outside,” he said. “(They have) wide receivers who are also great in the return game on special teams. It will be a big test for us on special teams. (They have a) running back who has the ability to take it the distance.”